TWI Industrial Member Report Summary 521/1995
C S Wiesner and B Hayes
This review was undertaken to provide an overview and critical assessment of crack arrest methods and applications, a pool of crack arrest data for pressure vessel and structural steels and recommendations for future research in this area. To achieve this, the following programme of work was devised:
- Stage 1
- Collection of published papers and crack arrest data;
- Stage 2
- Extraction of information from the published literature to build up concise pictures of the approaches and models proposed by different researchers and to summarise the findings of large collaborative programmes;
- Stage 3
- Critical assessment of the different models and applications; pooling of crack arrest data and consideration of future research requirements.
The work was funded by the UK Health and Safety Executive.
- To pool experimental data and information on the applications and theories of crack arrest resulting from past research programmes.
- To review critically the results and methodologies of recent developments in the crack arrest field.
- To assess the applicability of the crack arrest approach for structural integrity considerations and to give recommendations for further work.