Phased array ultrasonic systems utilise multi-element probes, which are individually excited under computer control. By exciting each element in a controlled manner, a focused beam of ultrasound can be generated. Software enables the beam to be steered. Two and three dimensional views can be generated showing the sizes and locations of any flaws detected.
TWI owns a range of phased array systems. They are as follows:
Laboratory / bench units
- Olympus NDT’s Tomoscan Focus. A 32 channel system
- Zetec Tomoscan III. A flexible and powerful system capable of handling up to 128 channels of phased array ultrasound channels
- Peak NDT's Micropulse 5 PA system. This is an advanced unit developed for the nuclear industry with 128 channels
- Seven-axis immersion tank
- Olympus NDT’s Omniscan MX PA. A robust 16 channel unit. (TWI owns 5 of these systems).
- Harfang Microtechniques X-32. TWI owns 8 of these units. They are robust and extremely well adapted to site use
- Beam focusing
- Beam steering
- Linear or sectorial scans
- Permanent data storage
- Display enables flaw visualisation
For more information about TWI's NDT services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.