Published on 24 January 2013
Since its installation in TWI's Microtechnology Centre, the X-Tek benchtop microfocus X-ray inspection system has become a valuable asset to many companies in a wide range of technology areas.
The 160 kV X-ray gun, with definition/resolution of between 5-10mm and immediate photo print facilities, allows hidden flaws to be quickly identified. The five-axis workstage allows the component to be manipulated until the optimum view of the flaw is found.
Typical applications include:
- Ball grid arrays: alignment accuracy, shorts, voiding, solder ball shape and quality
- Wirebonding: broken, unattached or misplaced Au bonds have been detected
- Solder joints and conductive adhesives: detection of voiding, alignment accuracy and quality
- Sensors structures: internal failure of encapsulated devices
- Cracking: in a wide range of materials and components
For information about TWI's capabilities please contact us.