TWI offers a wide range of expert training in friction stir welding (FSW), from one-day courses introducing the technology to a full diploma providing a comprehensive understanding.
At the heart of the training provision is a structured programme comprising three elements that can be taken separately to satisfy individual training needs, but which collectively provide an exhaustive training package covering all aspects of FSW. A candidate who successfully completes all three elements will be awarded the TWI Diploma in Friction Stir Welding.
The three elements of the programme are below. For detailed information on the individual courses, follow the links to the TWI Training website:
- TWI Foundation Award in Friction Stir Welding
- TWI Intermediate Award in Friction Stir Welding
- TWI Advanced Award in Friction Stir Welding
The training packages comprise a mixture of classroom activities plus practical hands-on experience using TWI’s state-of-the-art machines, and cover all aspects of the process, including the following:
- Fundamental principles of FSW
- Component design for FSW
- Friction stir welding machine operation
- Friction stir welding process parameter development
- Generation of welding procedures
- Non-destructive testing for FSW
- Quality assurance for FSW.
In addition to our standard training courses, TWI also offers bespoke training courses, either at its own laboratories or at customers’ premises, both in the UK and overseas. The content of these courses can be tailored to meet your specific requirements, ranging from a simple overview of the basics of friction stir welding up to the provision of a full turn-key package to implement the friction stir welding process on site.