TWI’s work with surgical instruments for the medical industry has covered failure investigations, joining, materials characterisation, and more. Our expertise also extends to product design, development and testing, all within the boundaries of the strict standards that regulate the medical industry.
Surgical instruments differ depending on type and application from single-use to the more common re-usable equipment. TWI’s previous work has included assisting with tissue ablation products, catheter failure investigations, X-Ray computed tomography of distal tip instrument assemblies, creating prototype stents by selective laser melting, the characterisation of tungsten carbide for dental burrs and Pb-free soldering for catheters.
TWI’s expertise has been gained through work in a range of industries, from aerospace to oil and gas. This diverse range of experience means that we can find applicable solutions from right across industry, while our independent nature means that we will provide the right resolution for your challenge.
The key technologies for this sector include:
- Joining of similar and dissimilar materials
- Surface treatments of metals and polymers using power beams
- Wear and corrosion resistant materials/coatings
- Cold spray metals onto metals, ceramics and polymers
- Plasma spraying
- Laser direct metal deposition (LDMD)
- Composite materials and joining
- Prototype design and development
- Materials characterisation
- Failure analysis
For more information, please contact us, below.