TWI’s UK-leading laser cladding research and development facility utilises a unique the Trumpf 7040 LMD system.
The specially-commissioned laser metal deposition (LMD) machine is very unique as it is the only one of its kind in the world. The machine uses a 50 micron nozzle positioning accuracy across its entire 4m x 2m x1.5m work envelope.
It's also equipped with 7 axis, a Renishaw touch probe, a dual core LLK and disc laser giving automatic spot size adjustment from 0.7 to 7mm, and offering unparalleled nozzle precision and accuracy and part referencing / scanning.
The system assists with TWI’s ability for large-scale repair and additive manufacture / 3D printing of parts for industry, including within the aerospace sector.
Features and Benefits
- Equipped with TWI developed ToolCLAD™ CAM software for 2D and 3D tool paths
- 5 axis nozzle positioning and 2 axis tilt-turn table fully integrated with TCP transformations
- Two controllable powder feeders for material delivery
- In-process control of laser power and spot size
- On-board Renishaw Touch Probe for substrate referencing and part geometry analysis
- In-process monitoring and measurement of laser power and powder deposited rate
- Large build envelope
- Control: Siemens 840D PowerLine
- Trumpf TruDisk 3001 3kW laser with a beam quality = 4 mm*mrad
- Range of Fraunhofer ILT nozzles
- Maximum processing dimensions: 4m (x) x 2m (y) x 1.5m (z)
- 1500kg tilt-turn table: Tilting range 110 degrees with continuous rotation
- Automatic focus (spot size) adjustment from Ø0.3mm to Ø 6mm
- Dual core laser light cable (LLK): 100µm and 400 µm
- Maximum length for shaft rotation: 2.4m at 0.95m diameter
- Refurbishment, e.g. weld repair of tooling and industrial rotating equipment
- Coatings, e.g. precision weld overlay of corrosion or wear resistance materials (including composite structures containing ultra-hard particles within a workable metal matrix alloy)
- Additive manufacturing of freeform structures, e.g. gas turbine components, large annular rings and aerospace structures