Wed, 17 February, 2021
The UK Government’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is calling for Industrial Members of TWI in the UK, to assist with a survey related to the control of electromagnetic fields at work.
The HSE, who are responsible for workplace health, safety and welfare, are reviewing the Control of Electromagnetic Fields at Work Regulations 2016 (SI 2016/588) (EMF 2016) as required by Regulation 15.
To assist with this, the HSE would like to get feedback from UK industry about the following points:
- Whether EMF 2016 has met its original objectives
- The costs and benefits of EMF 2016
- Whether the requirements of EMF 2016 can be achieved through a different approach (or if they are needed at all)
The EMF 2016 came into force on 1 July 2016 with the intention to ensure:
- A harmonised regime across all European member states
- Duty-holders take action to minimise and control the risks from electromagnetic fields (EMFs)
- All workers remain protected
The survey can be accessed online and takes just 10 minutes to complete, however responses need to be received by Wednesday 24 February 2021.
Individual responses to the survey will be aggregated together and anonymised before use and no information provided will be used for regulatory inspection purposes.
Feedback from the welding industry will be invaluable to the HSE and this survey presents an opportunity to make a valuable and positive contribution to the review of the electromagnetic fields regulations.
You can find the link to the survey here.
TWI Members can also get support on exposure to EMF and welding fume by contacting us, below.