Wed, 18 March, 2020
TWI implemented a programme of practical blind trials to qualify a client’s NDT personnel who are to perform manual ultrasonic testing (UT) on both ferritic and austenitic high integrity welds, ahead of a nuclear outage.
TWI designed and implemented a programme that included managing and conducting the NDT personnel qualification exercises, usually termed blind trials, compliant with statutory requirements, the client’s health and safety policy and local arrangements.
TWI’s responsibilities within the programme included:
- Reviewing the qualification procedure
- Supplying the specimens and equipment
- Preparation for the trial and validation activities, including training materials, assessments and working areas
- Delivering the blind trial programme
- Reporting the results and updating the qualifications database
TWI has a number of experienced NDT engineers who are familiar with nuclear requirements and have conducted various validation activities within the nuclear and oil and gas industries. TWI also has extensive experience in the operation of certification examinations for NDT personnel, which encompasses the compilation of examination material, assessing candidate eligibility, invigilation of examinations and maintenance of confidentiality.
Find out more about TWI’s support to the nuclear industry, partnership in the UK Nuclear SMR consortium or NDT qualification and validation services, by following the links.