AM-LINE 4.0 combines knowledge and known techniques in a new manner along a complete value chain for producing competitive metallic components. This includes development of the business model, optimized designs, quality certification, etc. at the lowest level, through collaboration with universities and industry towards development of a physical and digital production layer providing defect-free parts through I4.0 monitoring and control. At the higher level, inclusion of all process steps in the manufacturing process will demonstrate the use of AM in a full-scale industrial production setup by maturing all supporting processes and thereby accelerating the transfer to the industry and the SMEs
The main objectives are to
• Develop and stepwise implement a full-scale AM production line that can serve as production capacity reaching TRL8, and subsequently, as knowledge-creation and tech-transfer demonstration centre.
• Remove barriers preventing widespread implementation of metal AM through strategic collaboration be-tween specialized SMEs (Adamant, Scada Minds, NIRAS), international collaboration (TWI, Machine-Manu-facturer (partner to be onboarded Q1 2018) and close collaboration with research capacities (DTU).
• Accelerated partner training of key employees responsible for business development, design, production, quality and safety.
• Generate accessible and broadly qualified resources in the Danish labour market by awareness training to executives and in-depth training of engineers and operators supporting all levels of knowledge needed to accelerate the adoption of AM in the Danish manufacturing industry.
• Cost reduction by redesign of products towards AM and optimizing all the steps of the AM production. Costs are expected to be reduced by 40% during the project period reaching a reduction of 75% in 5-7 years (partly due to the Digital Twin, reduced consumables and high-volume AM equipment)
• Keeping production in DK by enabling flexible production. The impact of AM-LINE 4.0 will influence a ma-jor part of all metal-based manufacturing companies in Denmark. In total, these exceeds 1000 companies and affect more than 10,000 jobs.
• Faster implementation of AM in the industry. Adaption of AM tech. lowered to 1-3 years compared to pre-sent forecasts of 3-5 years. The consortium is working with additional companies interested (ECCO, FLS-midth, MAN Turbo & Diesel, Alfa Laval). These are currently defining their strategic research agendas on AM technologies, which will be assessed in 2017-2018.
• Creation of an opportunity for the Danish industries to join the AM industry. By recently expired key pa-tents establishing leading AM parts to be expected to become 50% cheaper and up to 400% faster in the next five years.
• Increased speed for bringing new products on the market obtained by fast and flexible production in com-pliance with product specifications and quality targets.
• Establishment of a highly professional, national network (AM community) of skilled employees including key staff at all levels.
• Showcase of the social implications and changed working conditions physically, digitally and mentally re-lated to implementing I4.0 technologies.
• Safety issues handled. Including development of factory layouts that meet regulatory requirements and includes precautions towards the personnel working with AM and e.g. the handling of metal powder.