Frequently Asked Questions
Team-Oriented Problem Solving using 8 Disciplines was implemented by Ford, and follows an original approach developed by Kepner-Tregoe. The eight disciplines are:
- Use a team approach - involve those closest to the issue and with authority to act
- Describe the problem in quantifiable terms
- Implement short-term actions to contain the problem and check they work
- Define the root-cause(s) and check that the presumed cause is correct
- Define and evaluate effectiveness of long-term corrective actions
- Implement long-term corrective actions
- Modify the systems and procedures to prevent reoccurrence
- Recognise the efforts of the team.
TOPS 8D is a reductionist problem solving approach in that it looks for a solution to remedy the immediate problem, but does not require an optimal solution nor does it investigate outside the direct system of interest. (Therefore in a worst case scenario, implementation of a solution for one problem may result in a new problem).