Frequently Asked Questions
The Directive, applicable in all EU Member States, aims to:
- make vehicle dismantling and recycling more environmentally friendly;
- set clear, quantified targets for reuse, recycling and recovery of vehicles and their components;
- push producers to manufacture new vehicles with a view to their recyclability.
Vehicle manufacturers, material and equipment manufacturers must:
- endeavour to reduce the use of hazardous substances when designing vehicles;
- ensure components of vehicles placed on the market after 1 July 2003 do not contain mercury, hexavalent chromium, cadmium or lead, except in the listed exemptions.
For further assistance from TWI on ELV matters, please contact us.
The End of Life Vehicles (ELV) Directive and official europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32000L0053:EN:HTML
EU background information on ELV