Plasma spraying is used to apply ceramic, cermet and metal coatings in several industry sectors. These coatings are designed to provide wear and corrosion protection, or to give functional properties such as thermal insulation or biocompatibility. Some examples of industry sectors where plasma sprayed coatings are used include:
- Mechanical engineering
- Marine engineering
- Automotive engineering
- Chemicals and nuclear industries
- Iron and steel, glass wear
- Household appliances
Common applications for plasma sprayed coatings include:
- Seal ring grooves in the compressor area of aero-engine turbines with tungsten carbide/cobalt to resist fretting wear.
- Zirconia-based thermal barrier coatings (TBCs) on turbine combustion chambers.
- Wear resistant alumina and chromium oxide ceramic on printing rolls for subsequent laser and diamond engraving/etching.
- Molybdenum alloys on to diesel engine piston rings.
- Biocompatible coatings of hydroxyapatite for medical and dental implants.
See further information about Materials and Corrosion Management or please contact us.