Fri, 12 January, 2024
TWI is now offering bespoke laser welding training delivered by our technology experts. The two-day training course includes an introduction to the basic principles of laser technology, an overview of industrial laser processes, an in-depth exploration of laser beam welding, and the quality assurance and safety requirements of laser beam processing.
Combining classroom-based lectures with practical demonstrations, the training delivers essential skills in laser beam welding technologies, with trainees encouraged to discuss their needs or any questions with TWI engineers.
Aimed at engineering, management and supervisory staff who are or wish to use laser technologies, the course will deliver an improved understanding of laser beam welding processes and how they can best be developed.
The course content can be tailored to meet your individual needs and is presented in an informal style, including a rolling question and answer approach that encourages interaction with our trainers. Subjects covered across the lecture sections include:
- Basic Laser Technology: Including the working principles of the most common laser types and beam delivery techniques
- Introduction to Laser Safety: Including requirements for laser safety depending upon laser type and class, and an awareness of relevant laser safety standards
- Overview of Industrial Laser Materials Processing: Including laser micro-joining, laser cutting and laser additive manufacturing – providing working principles and current state-of-the-art of each of these laser technologies
- In-Depth Understanding of Laser Beam Welding: Including the principles of laser welding, examples of important factors in continuous laser beam and pulsed laser beam welding - covering macro- and micro-scale laser welding of metal and plastic
- Materials and their Behaviour during Laser Beam Welding: Including properties of laser beam as heat source, energy distribution, weldability of materials, identification of common welding imperfection/defects in welds, and their control (plasma/plume formation and control)
- Design for Laser Beam Welding: Including joint design, tolerances, welding position and distortion prevention
- Quality Assurance and Control during Laser Beam Welding: Including process monitoring and seam tracking
- Qualification, Testing and Inspection of Laser Welds: Including an overview of relevant ISO laser welding standards, welding procedure specification (WPS) to ISO standards, welding procedure qualification to ISO standards
- Practical Training: Using on-site high power fibre laser
All of this content can be tailored to suit your requirements and help you enhance your welding quality and efficiency, reduce material waste and production time, implement safer and more reliable welding practices, and stay compliant with the latest industry standards.
To discuss your specific needs and arrange a bespoke training experience, please email our Laser Welding Section Manager, Paola De Bono at: Paola.DeBono@Twi.co.uk.