The National Structural Integrity Research Centre is a state-of-the-art postgraduate engineering facility based in Cambridge, UK, offering industrial PhD and Masters Courses.
Founded in 2012 and managed by industrial research specialist TWI Ltd, we at NSIRC combine engineering related research with academia and industry.
Grants were provided by three key organisations including the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (formerly the UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills through its Regional Growth Fund (RGF) to a level of £18.5m), HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England to a level of £15m) and SIRF (Structural Integrity Research Foundation), an organisation that was set-up by TWI to provide a platform and set the direction of industrially driven research in its field. To date, platform initiatives include NSIRC and the TWI Innovation Network (TWIIN).
Work alongside lead academic partner Brunel University London, and more than 35 other affiliated universities in UK, Europe, and Asia, as well as founder sponsors bp and the Lloyd's Register Foundation (independent global charity registered in England and created by the Lloyd's Register Group), we support research, innovation, and education to make the world a safer place.
Our Impact Review presents a timeline of NSIRC to date and displays how students from our Masters and Doctoral programmes have achieved an Impact across industry and academia through their research at NSIRC and subsequent careers.
Our Master and PhD Topics are Advancing Fundamental Research into:
- Safe operation of products and structures
- Development of innovative, fit-for-purpose technologies and design rules
- Engineering solutions for long-term asset management
Explore our Postgraduate Programmes
Through the collaborating partners, we create PhD Studentships as well as MSc and MBA courses that address the need from industry for fundamental research.
In doing so, these funded PhD projects and Masters degrees, are creating the next generation of highly skilled engineers and scientists, who are becoming the leaders of industry and international business.
Through the postgraduate programmes, students are able to pursue their academic ambition alongside top UK and International Universities, as well as gaining the work experience, business and management skills to transition into a senior level career after graduation.
Finding a Masters or PhD with Global Need - Industry Needs You!
Thanks to our unique collaborations with TWI Members, including many of the worlds leading research and technology organisations, our students are harness research proposals directly from industry.
Our Masters modules and Doctoral Theses focus on fields of structural integrity including but not limited to:
- Risk-based inspection
- Engineering critical assessment
- Non destructive testing
- Structural health, condition monitoring and ensure structures
- Health management for use in industrial applications
Our Vision and Mission
To be a world-renowned centre of industrially driven academic excellence in the field of structural integrity.
- To develop a critical mass of research informed by the needs of industry, across the field of structural integrity
- Develop novel postgraduate programmes to train the next generation of researchers and engineers to support UK science and innovation
- Accelerate the translation of science into industrially relevant products and services
- Contribute to the development of effective standards and regulations
- Become the research provider of choice for industry in the area of structural integrity
Discover more about our Research and News Stories