TWI is applying the latest information technology (IT) in its projects, business systems and communications, thanks to its growing team of IT specialists engaged in Continuing Professional Development or holding active membership of BCS, the Chartered Institute for Information Technology. This strengthening in links with the Institute is enabling TWI to optimise existing processes and systems and to apply new thinking, education and knowledge sharing with its staff.
At the start of 2012, 88% of staff working in TWI's Business Systems and Software Development department registered as individual members of BCS - the start of frequent communications with a number of sections of the IT Institute.
TWI's Business Systems and Software Development department is responsible for company business systems and telecommunications worldwide and for creating engineering software to meet specific industry needs in welding, joining and inspection technologies.
Following on from a company-wide communications review and with the support of BCS, TWI will this year deliver a number of new systems and initiatives to its Cambridge headquarters, regional bases and international centres. These include:
- �introduction of the Microsoft Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system for effective management of customer data;
- introduction of the Microsoft Sharepoint web data sharing platform for efficient internal communications;
- communications work to develop the visibility of project activity, leading to improved project control;
- a comprehensive review of webinar delivery software to maximise engagement with Industrial Member audiences and others;
- production of an e-learning suite of training courses in information technologies to ensure a fully trained staff worldwide;
- work towards TickIT Plus certification.
Key to all these systems is the implementation by the Business Systems and Software Development department of a TWI internal education and knowledge-sharing plan.
Adam Thilthorpe, Director for Professionalism, Communications, Policy and Public Affairs at BCS commented: 'BCS welcomes TWI into our Group Membership scheme. Together, TWI and BCS are creating a benchmark for professionalism and raising the standards in IT.'
For further information please contact Mark Chinery.