Valuable findings are about to be revealed following the conclusion of a three year project on the non-destructive testing of composites.
The 2008 project ComPair is an EC FP7 scheme for the continuous health monitoring and non-destructive assessment of composites and composite repairs on surface transport applications.
Composites are used in a wide range of applications in surface transport including:
- Road : cars, truck, tankers and buses
- Rail : high speed trains and trams
- Marine:� yachts, lifeboats, fishing trawlers, patrol boats and naval mine-hunting ships
The aim of the ComPair project was:
- To develop quantitative non-invasive NDT approaches for prompt assessment of composites during the manufacture and assembly stages of composite materials and structures
- To develop a health monitoring approach for composite components on full scale structures
- To develop new technology based on the combination of long range ultrasonic testing and acoustic emission techniques
The final health monitoring system should be able to detect many kinds of defects including disbonds in the bond line between the glass fibre reinforced plastic/carbon fibre reinforced plastic and fractures with other materials.
Contact us�for more information or visit the website. www.compairproject.com.