19 October 2022
Welding and Joining Technical Group: Back-to-Basics Webinar: Cracking in Ferritic Steels
This second back-to-basics webinar will be looking at the three most important cracking mechanisms that may occur in C/Mn and low alloy steels:
- hydrogen induced cold cracking
- solidification cracking
- lamellar tearing
The cause(s) of these cracking problems will be explained drawing on some of the metallurgical principles that were discussed in first back-to-basics: An Introduction to Steel Metallurgy*.
Importantly, the measures that can be taken to avoid or mitigate the cracking will also be covered.
* You do not need to have attended the first back-to-basics webinar to attend this one.
Who should attend?
- those with little or no knowledge of welding technology
- those just entering the welding industry
- those wanting to gain an appreciation of the subject
- engineers who feel the need for a refresher
- anyone with an interest in welding
What is the format?
The webinars are informal with ample time for questions and will be around an hour in length, given by a highly qualified professional with extensive experience in the relevant subject.
- Professional Members of The Welding Institute: £25 + VAT (£30)
- Industrial Members of TWI: £25 + VAT (£30)
- Non-members: £95 + VAT (£114)
- Retired Members: £25 + VAT (£30)
- Students: £25 + VAT (£30)
- TWI Training School Customers: £70 + VAT (£84)
TWI Staff - please contact Bethaney Butcher if you wish to register.
Please note that payment must be made before the event in order to receive the joining instructions for the event.
Can't make it on the day?
If you can't join us on the day, you can still access the recording of the webinar and the presentations by registering ahead of the event.*
*presentation dissemination is dependent on presenter consent.
Associate Membership (AWeldI) of the Welding Institute
Registering on this Technical Group webinar as a non-member or a TWI Training Customer gives you full Associate Membership (AWeldI) for one year. To activate your membership, just complete the highlighted fields on the event registration form.
You will also benefit from:
- Discounted registration fees for Technical Group events (£25 + VAT)
- Free attendance at Branch events
- Access to our knowledge database including our library and information services
Benefits of attending this webinar
- Information transfer from experts
- Discussion, questions and answers on the specific topics
- A broader understanding of the extent of standards in the industry
- Attendance of this event qualifies for CPD
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
The Welding Institute awards points towards CPD for delegates attending this webinar. Every hour attendance of an event will earn 2 points towards your continuing professional development.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a certificate of attendance towards your continuing professional development.
Eur Ing Gene Mathers CEng, MSc, Dip IIM, FWeldI, EWE, IWE
Gene has over 40 years industrial experience working in pipeline, power generation, heavy engineering, nuclear and the pressure vessel fabrication industries.
He worked for NEI-International Combustion Ltd. as the company’s Welding and Metallurgy Manager and latterly Quality Manager for some 10 years before joining TWI Ltd in 1991 as Manager, School of Welding Technology. He then moved into the role of Principal Consultant in the Manufacturing Services Group before taking retirement. Since then he has provided a welding engineering consultancy service as a private consultant.