Adhesive technology demonstration centre
Connect, no.76, May 1996
A comprehensive Demonstration Centre has been set up within the Centre for Adhesive Technology (CAT) at TWI. It has been established to allow design concepts to be investigated by using a set of tools developed to give advice and expertise to companies wishing to increase their use of adhesive bonding processes.
Adhesive bonding allows industry to become more competitive through new designs, improved quality and efficient manufacturing. Using the tools in the Demonstration Centre, a company can gain confidence when implementing changes in their products. This is achieved by:
- Adhesive selection - software packages are available to assist with initial screening of the wide range of adhesives available
- Joint design - a critical stage in specifying adhesives. The CAT has developed software to process information for rapid stress analysis
- Surface preparation - essential for durable joints, but what is required? The CAT provides advice on selection of the most appropriate treatments for your application
- Testing and analysis - whether you wish to carry out trials to establish performance in service or to determine the reason for failure, a range of mechanical, NDT and chemical tests can be carried out
- Quality assurance - an important aspect if repeatable joints are to be achieved. Software takes you through the manufacturing process, identifying key stages in providing a quality plan for your records
- Dispensing - trials can be undertaken to provide cost-effective techniques for placing the adhesive
- Manufacturing - a simulation of the manufacturing process can be built using in- house software. This allows throughput to be predicted and bottlenecks to be identified
- Techno-economic analysis - to allow quantification of cost benefits
- Training - a range of training packages is available for the benefit of your staff. This includes on-site courses, both introductory and advanced, for certification of engineers, and multimedia programs for use in the office
- Case History database - a fully documented system to allow you to identify similar adhesive applications leading to a reduction of development time
By using services available in the Demonstration Centre, companies have an independent source of advice and expertise covering all aspects of adhesive technology. A visit to the Centre is, therefore, an unrivalled opportunity for industry to develop new products.
For more information, please contact us.