When a company identifies a need to apply a protective coating to a component, the best option to use is not always clear. There is a bewildering array of formulations and deposition methods available, with the potential to deliver the necessary performance characteristics.
TWI provides a source of expertise and practical help to industry in coating selection, formulation and use. At its regional office in Middlesbrough TWI has a state-of-the-art coating line suitable for depositing high integrity films.
Samples can be deposited using a dip, spin or bar coating facility and can be cured using high temperature ovens or controlled UV. Material testing facilities are also available. Further details can be found at: www.twi.co.uk/content/twi_north_specialised.html
At present TWI is working on several development projects examples which include:
- Coating on wind turbines for adverse conditions
- Development of high efficiency solar concentrators based on polymer cast directly on glass
- Flexible electronic printing using inkjet printing techniques
- Development of anti-microbial coatings for public buildings
TWI North in Middlesbrough is holding a free coating seminar on 13 October 2011. This event (funded by the REMTEC* project) will allow attendees to:
- Learn about recent technical advances within the coatings field
- Assess the advantages of using the modern facilities available, and meet the technical experts from TWI
- Network with suppliers, applicators and users of coatings
Enrolment for this free event should be made online at www.eventsforce.net .REM7
* REMTEC, www.twi.co.uk/remtec, is part-financed by the European Union's ERDF Competitiveness Programme 2007-13, securing £1.7m ERDF investment through regional development agency One North East. For eligible companies a technical support package is available, this includes:
- Up to 14 days in-depth technical support and consultancy using TWI specialists and laboratories
- Technical Helpdesk for expert one-to-one advice on 01223 899 299
In addition, TWI are running a number of technology demonstration projects supported by the REMTEC programme which are available to be used to demonstrate equipment capability and novel processing. The ERDF programme is bringing over £250m into the North East to support innovation, enterprise and business support across the region.
Further information can be found at www.onenortheast.co.uk/erdf