TWI's new building on Granta Park has been officially named after the present Chief Executive. The Bevan Braithwaite Building - the hub of TWI's international activities - was formally opened by Bertil Pekkari, Chairman of The Welding Institute, on 2nd July 2003. The name reflects the contribution made by Bevan Braithwaite to TWI and also his initiative, drive and personal efforts in guiding the New Building project ahead.
Bevan became Chief Executive in 1988, having spent some 27 years in a variety of roles within the organisation.
The opening ceremony was marked by the arrival of a skydiver trailing the TWI company flag as he dropped from an aeroplane onto Granta Park. The parachutist was Bob Ward, a member of TWI staff who works in the Electron Beam Department.
At the same time as the opening of the Bevan Braithwaite Building, the contribution of former chief executives was recognised through the renaming of three existing TWI buildings.
The Fatigue Laboratory was named the Richard Weck Laboratory after Dr Richard Weck, who started his career at TWI (then BWRA) working on fatigue research and was Director General from 1957 to 1977.
The Library and Information Services will be moving into the former Professional Members Building, originally designed with the active help of Alan Wells, Director General 1977 to 1988 - this will now be known as The Alan Wells Building.
The Harry Taylor Building is the new name of the Training and Certification block which houses all the training, certification and professional activities carried out at TWI. Harry Taylor was Director General from 1947 to 1957.