Joining 4.0 Innovation Centre
Joining 4.0 Innovation Centre (J4IC), launched in April 2017, is a strategic partnership between Lancaster University and TWI with the aim of developing a comprehensive research capability focused on the digitalisation of joining and associated manufacturing technologies.
J4IC focuses on joining technologies in the context of industry 4.0 – a term used to describe the fourth industrial revolution. The Centre draws on, and integrates, Lancaster’s existing research strengths within engineering, data science and computing with TWI’s world-leading knowhow in joining technologies, thereby creating, developing and embedding transformative manufacturing capabilities for the benefit of industry.
RESURGAM is a current project by J4IC and partners EWF, Element Six, ENGITEC Systems International (ESI), FORTH, University of Limerick, Stirweld, GISBIR, Aclunaga, Aister, Ned-Project andTu Delft which aims to enable the use of friction stir welding (FSW) for under water and under oil welding of steel. RESURGAM will achieve this through the development and delivery of an artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled robotic FSW system capable of performing inspection and FSW underwater and in confined spaces. Project outcomes are designed to increase the competitiveness of smaller and mediums sized European shipyards and ship builders, particularly within international markets, and to help grow the sector in Europe.
- Be world-leading and industrially relevant in the R&D of digital manufacturing capabilities based on advanced joining and associated technologies
- Create a successful collaborative environment between higher education institution and research and technology organisation with substantial research, technology impact and adoption by industry ((HEI-RTO-Industry)
- Establish an excellent research environment underpinned by MSc / PhD researchers and academic staff embedded by industry
- Secure a portfolio of research funding from public funding bodies
- Digitalised manufacturing capabilities based on advanced joining technologies
- Underpinned with expert joining knowhow, data-centric engineering, software platforms, cloud computing, advanced systems connectivity, robotics and communications solutions